ADULTERY is the act of having sexual intercourse with a man/ woman one is not legally married to as a married man or married woman, that is, engaging in sex with anyone other than one’s legally married husband/wife. This is a sin before God as Hebrews 13:4 declares “Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.”
HOW TO OVERCOME ADULTERY:
1. First things first, you have to be BORN AGAIN through faith in Jesus and the redemptive work He did on the cross of Calvary to pay for your sins. Until you are born again, you may not really see anything wrong with adultery nor understand the pressing need to be free from it because your spiritual eyes are blind to the iniquitousness, destructiveness and evilness of adultery. Besides, you need the Holy Spirit received at new birth to live totally and permanently free from adultery.
2. LOVE GOD and FEAR GOD. When you love God and fear God, you will not want to sin against Him by engaging in adultery. Joseph in the Bible resisted Portiphar’s wife when she persuaded him to sleep with her because of the love he had for God and the fear he had for God even though the offer came with juicy rewards. Joseph said “… how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” Genesis 39:9. More so, 1 John 5:3 says “For this is what love for God is: to keep His commands…” In John 14:15 Jesus speaking says “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” And in John 14:21 He further says “Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me.” Additionally, Proverbs 3:7 says “Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil (sin).” Therefore, when you fear God and love God, you will not commit adultery because it is a sin and a disobedience to God’s commands.
3. Be cognizant and conscious of the dangers of adultery. King David in the Bible experienced the appalling effects of adultery (2 Samuel 11 and 12). Many of the horrible consequences of adultery adulterers and their family go through are: divorce and separation (shattered marriage/family), single parenting, untimely demise of the party involved in the act, their spouse/children, children brought up without fatherly/motherly care, children inadequately trained and nurtured, contact of sexually transmitted diseases, sickness, entrance into demonic covenants, unwanted pregnancy, abortion, murder, distrust, shame, loss of integrity, self-condemnation, guilt, fear, lack of peace, joy and rest, fear of death, bitterness and hatred between couples, unforgiveness, insecurity, lack of God’s presence and His blessings, the list continues. In the afterlife, eternal damnation in hell is the eternal reward of an unrepentant adulterer. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.” Ephesians 5:5 says “For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is SEXUALLY IMMORAL OR IMPURE, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.” And Galatians 5:19-21 says “The acts of the flesh are obvious: SEXUAL IMMORALITY, impurity, and debauchery… and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.”
4. Kindly click on “FORNICATION” at the top of the page, go through the content; part is very constructive in overcoming adultery which is a sister sin to fornication, embrace it.
Finally, these simple rules will help you avoid adultery in your marriage.
Written by Apostle Pride Sibiya
Please note that you can avoid adultery. It is within your power to do it, if you really mean it. Carelessness is one of the major cause of affair in marriage not devil in the real sense of it as many people always claim when they fall into error.
So follow the following simple rules you will never fall into adultery.
1. Never make anybody of the opposite sex your best friend with whom you share intimate discussions.
2. Never be with anybody of opposite sex at the time your spouse must never know you are there.
3. Never talk evil about your spouse in the presence of anybody, they will know you are not happy in your marriage and take advantage of that by showing you fake care and give you what you lack with your Spouse and destroy you.
4. Be proud to use your wedding ring outside, let them know you are married and proud to be.
5. Never visit a website you will not be proud to tell your children and wife/ husband you visited.
6. Avoid keeping secrets from your spouse, AFFAIR thrive in secrecy.
7. Avoid confiding in the people of the opposite sex, there should be somebody of your sex you can talk to, don't dig the grave of your marriage with your mouth.
8. Avoid collecting unsolicited gifts and favour from opposite sex. They will ask for sex in return they are not Father Christmas.
9. Avoid thinking that anybody is better than your husband or wife you don't know what their spouses are enduring at home, what you are seeing outside is just a show biz don't be deceived. Grass is only greener in the other compound because it is far from you.
10. Divert all your sexual fantasy towards your spouse. He or she is planted in to your life to satisfy you and keep you holy.
11. Always remember that whatever every woman or man has in his or her body, your spouse has it too and they are not different from each other, it is only faces that are different it is the same package.
12. Deal with any sexual thought that is not directed towards your spouse; kill it before it kills you. Sexual error do not begin in the bedroom, it begins in the heart.
13. If you are finding it difficult to deal with it, find a mature Christian you can confide in and let the person pray with you, counsel you. Don't die in silence.
14. Before traveling have sex with your spouse and put your mind to it that you will not have sex until you come back, that decision may save your life and destiny
15. Men, avoid looking at the front and back side of ladies and imagine what is there, it is stupid, childish and dirty to do that, that is what is called lust, what is there is not different from what your spouse has, please don't be stupid sir.
16. Walk in company with good and Godly men/ women if you keep company with adulterer you will become adulterous.
17. Discus your sexual desire with your spouse and let it be met at home, don't hunt for something that will hunt you later and hurt you deeply tomorrow, your wife/ husband has the best, get it at home.
17. Fill your heart with the word of God always, this will not give lust a chance in your mind.
18. Memorize and Always remember Proverbs 6:32-33. "But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul. A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away".
20. Always count the cost of adultery, don't just look at the pleasure, look at the pain, loss of integrity, how you will hurt your wife/husband, children, friends and above all GOD the Almighty.
21. Always remember that the enjoyment, pleasure and the thrills that is in sex is just 8 seconds or less, it cannot be more than that but its repercussions can last for eternity. Why trading eternity for 8 seconds, is there wisdom in that?
BE FAITHFUL TO YOUR SPOUSE AND YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.
God bless you.